Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

May Britannica be with you——survivor from an Alien Attack

To our offspring:
      
      As you may now know that a terrible Alien attack happened, and I had no idea why these freaks chose

me to make this decision, it's not like I had any connection with them (I swear!). Anyway, for whatever

freaks' reasons, they asked me to choose one encyclopodia for you guys, I did some research, really. In

order to convince you, I leave this explaination. And may Britannica be with you.
       
     
     First that came to my mind is the inheritance of knowledge. It is very important to make you know our

knowledge, and accuracy is vital. Ohterwise the consequences are very fearful. Just like all the debases

between open source and propritary, I think that it can be a bad idea to let any one edit those knowledges

freely. At our times, open source like wikipedia can't be used in acadamic writing, which means that the

majority of us still don't trust it. It is both positive and negative effects of am opem source, but when there is

nothing else to refer to, we'd better trust authorities.

       Secondly, I think Britannica is more user-friendly. To compare, I put the picture of both of them here.

We can see clearly that  the homepage of Britannica is better organized than that of Wikipedia. We can find

different catagories clearly listed on the left hand side and plenty of tools on the right while wiki shows only

some news. Blog, dictionary and other related sources are well listed on Britannica which makes us easier to

get whatever we need.
                                                                         



    





Britannica



  








wikipedia


 Thirdly, I tested their function as encyclopeidas. I searched  Plato from both of them. And here's the results.


 

Wikipedia

Wikipedia simply pumped out a page talking about who Plato is and his theories and life and so

on. It did give out great lists of footnotes, references and extensional readings. But Britannica did even better.

It listed all the result on the page, and when you put your mouse on each of them there would be a brief

introduction of the resources so that you can choose what to read more specifically and easily. And you can

choose to read Ebook or magazine or dictionary.
     
        To sum up, Britannica (properities) is more valuable than Wikipedia (open source) both user-friendly

and functionally. I hope you can create something much better than Britannica and Wikipedia with the great

legacy I've left you. And …you're welcome. 
sincerely
your ancester

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised that you found Encyclopedia Britannica better organized than Wikipedia. I find Wikipedia easier to use the Britannica because there are so many links connecting to other articles, so if I don't understand something I can usually click it and find out more. I also like the Wikipedia gives a "table of contents" for every topic as well as a little box on the right-hand side that gives useful and quick info like dates.

    And side not- I like how you wrote this post in a letter format. It really seems like you're writing to the aliens/people. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. But I think Britannica is better by listing thouse links in advance.

    ReplyDelete